Thursday, July 27, 2006

Last Day of Classes at Hebrew U

Wow, what an amazing and intense four weeks it has been. I'm left a little closer to understanding the Middle East, its past and present, and without leaning on prophecy, perhaps some idea of where it may be heading in the future. I am no expert on the Middle East and all of its facets, of course, but I now have a framework from which to work from. Ultimately, I think that is all an education really gives you. Even doctors, I think, do not memorize all the latin and medical jargon they learn throughout medical school, but they can see the bigger picture and, as doctors, are expected to know where to look when details are needed and should provide answers (in my case, opinions) when a question arises.

In the Emergence of the Modern Middle East course, our professor left us with a somewhat bleak picture of the region, which, according to him, is mostly contributed to four major predicaments that currently face the region. (From the last page of my notes) First, economic stagnation, which has had the most dominant affect on the Middle East, has been accompanied by social frustration and is one major factor contributing to the radicalization of Islamic political movements. Second, the Middle East has grown increasingly weak in the Global System. With the exception of Turkey, Iran, and Israel, the rest of the Middle Eastern states have become non-factors, especially within movements like Al Qaeda, who no longer need the states in their violent campaigns against the Western world. Third is political instability. The Middle East is plagued by an unpredictable future and leaders that many regard as illegitamate, and this has led to many political upheavals. Lastly, there is vast ideological confusion, and many question whether the Middle East is heading toward something contructive or destructive.

Anyway, I think we're all breathing a collective sigh of relief now that classes are over and done with. Most people have left the building and, I'm suspecting, are either off to Tel Aviv or Eilat. (I overheard someone say something about going to Petra, Jordan). I think I might bum around the computer for a while and maybe grab a shawarma and salad for 18 shekels down at the Frank Sinatra cafeteria. I have one more term paper due, but our professor was kind enough to let us email it to her within two weeks. That was really sweet of her...I stayed up all night last night writing a paper for my main course. I wrote about the June War of 1967 (also known as the Six Day War) and the effects it had on the region and why it is considered a "watershed event". I wish I had had more time to write it. Oh well, I did my best.

Missing you all,

Denise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home